Lately the video “Korean Girls Taste American Snacks” has been going viral around the internet. It’s quite entertaining!
If you haven’t seen it yet, “Korean Girls Taste American Snacks” is a video done in a research setting where Korean girls try various snacks from the U.S. and make comments about them.
The girls and the interviewer are all speaking Korean, and the subtitles are in English.
This is a great opportunity to improve listening skills for studying Korean! Instead of following only standard textbook conversations, it’s better to mix in real life speech samples so you can understand how Koreans speak.
If you haven’t seen it before, check it out and try to follow the responses to help you learn Korean. If you’re brave, cover up the subtitles and test your comprehension skills for a real challenge.
Below we’ve included 15 phrases from the video, both in Korean and English. The time is listed as well so you can go to that exact spot.
If you can’t read Korean yet, not to worry! You can download a free guide to learn the Korean alphabet before the Korean girls finish their first box of Cheez Its!
Ready, set, 시작!
1. Baby snack, baby snack: “애기 과자” (0:16)
2. I like things that taste like this: “이런 맛 좋아해요” (0:49)
3. But I don’t want to eat it: “먹기 싫은데” (1:18)
4. Tastes like something really bad for your body: “몸에 안 좋은 맛이에요” (1:42)
5. I wanna eat something else: “다른 것 먹을래요” (1:51)
6. It looks pretty good: “맛있을 것 같은데” (2:33)
7. I will give it 9 stars: “구점 드리겠습니다” (3:13)
8. Like as if someone’s punching my tongue: “혀를 때리는 맛” (3:59)
9. Did I do something wrong to you?: “제가 뭐 잘 못했어요?” (5:08)
10. I don’t really want to try it: “별로 먹고 싶지 않아요” (5:27)
11. It’s not my style: “제 스타일 아니에요” (5:41)
12. I feel like my health is declining while eating this: “건강 나빠지는 느낌이에요” (5:48)
13. This would be great with alcohol, too: “이것도 술 안주예요.” (6:53)
14. Does it taste like this from beginning to end? “처음부터 끝까지 이 맛인가요?” (8:10)
15. I think I’m going to cry: 눈물 날 것 같아요, 지금” (8:46)
Which Korean phrases from “Korean Girls Taste American Snacks” are your favorite?
Photo Credit: Mike MozartFind this helpful? Share with your friends. They'll thank you for it!